The University’s governance structure is intended to perfect and make permanent the University’s essential character as a Catholic and American institution of higher learning and its role as the national university of the Catholic Church, sponsored by the United States bishops, while permitting lay responsibility and support for the University. The Fellows serve as the members of the Board of Trustees and hold certain reserved powers designed to preserve the ecclesial patrimony of the University. The responsibility for governance and oversight of the operations of the University resides in the University’s Board of Trustees.
The Fellows include representative from four groups: cardinal fellows, those serving as diocesan bishops in the United States; bishop fellows (four who are appointed by the fellows); ex officio fellows, who include the chairman of the board; the president of the University; the chancellor of the University; the president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops; and appointed fellows (two laypersons) from the Board of Trustees.
The University will have no fewer than twenty (20) and no more than forty (40) trustees who are designated as the appointed trustees.
Current Membership of the Board of Trustees
- Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila, Denver, Colo.
- Banzinger, Richard D., New York, N.Y.
- Lawrence C. Blanford, Naples, Fla.
- Lee Ann Joiner Brady, Skillman, N.J.
- Bishop Michael F. Burbidge*, Arlington, Va.
- Joseph L Carlini*, Chairman, Board of Trustees, Malvern, Pa.
- Bishop Octavio Cisneros, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- William E. Conway, Jr., McLean, Va.
- Cardinal Blase J. Cupich*, Chicago, Ill.
- Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo*, Houston, Texas
- Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan*, New York, N.Y.
- Sister Janet Eisner, S.N.D., Boston, Mass.
- Bishop Daniel E. Flores, Brownsville, Texas
- John Garvey*, President, Washington, D.C.
- Archbishop José H. Gomez*, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory*, Atlanta, Ga.
- Frank J. Hanna III, Atlanta, Ga.
- Stephen J. Kaneb, South Hampton, N.H.
- Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz, Louisville, Ky.
- Leonard A. Leo, McLean, Va.
- Archbishop William E. Lori*, Baltimore, Md.
- Michael J. Millette, New Rochelle, N.Y.
- Jeffrey R. Moreland, Arlington, Va.
- James Moye, Fairfield, Conn.
- Mark A. Murray, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Anne E. O'Donnell, M.D., Arlington, Va.
- Cardinal Seán P. O'Malley, O.F.M. Cap.*, Boston, Mass.
- E. Jeffrey Rossi, Esq., Warren, Ohio
- Monsignor Walter R. Rossi, Washington, D.C.
- Catharine Murray Ryan*, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Enrique Segura, Washington, D.C.
- Victor P. Smith, Esq., Indianapolis, Ind.
- Cardinal Joseph Tobin, C.Ss. R.*, Newark, N.J.
- Monsignor Peter J. Vaghi, Bethesda, Md.
- Michael P. Warsaw, Birmingham, Ala.
- Carolyn Y. Woo, Baltimore, Md.
- Cardinal Donald W. Wuerl*, Chancellor, Chairman of the Fellows, Washington, D.C.
- Frank G. Persico, Secretary of the Board, Fulton, Md.
*Asterisk denotes member of the Fellows
Board members are listed as of June 6, 2017.
To contact the Board of Trustees email: CUA-Trustees@cua.edu