The Creative Teaching through Drama Certificate is for students with Bachelors, or graduate degrees who wish to add value to their degree and increase their credentials; for educators who aim to enhance their teaching credentials; for theatre professionals who want to enrich their pedagogical knowledge; and, for students considering the possibility of a graduate degree. In this 5-course graduate certificate program, develop new approaches for a variety of curriculum topics in K-12 classrooms or other educational settings using Drama as a learning method.
Certificate students take five 3-credit graduate courses offered by the drama department—meeting either in-person on campus, or online. The Creative Teaching through Drama Certificate is designed to specifically accommodate the schedules of working teachers, classes are offered evenings and during summer semesters. The program accepts applications year round. It is possible to start the program fall, spring, or summer.
The entire certificate may be earned completely via online courses.
Gain Practical Experience in Arts Integration
- Learn and implement best practices in arts integration using the Dramatic arts.
- Develop the skills to design and deliver creative learning experiences to elementary and secondary students in ways that reach beyond the Theatre classroom.
- Study and practice how to harness the power of classroom participation in Drama and Theatre activities in ways that are productive, manageable, engaging, and have genuine learning purposes.
- Increase understanding of Theatre as an enduring art form.
- Document and share your learning using current technology.
- Interact with a cohort of learners from a wide variety of geographic locations through regularly scheduled video meetings.
- A four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or an equivalent degree from a nationally recognized non-US institution.
- A 3.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale or better in the baccalaureate study. Or, a 3.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale or better in graduate study resulting in a degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or an equivalent degree from a nationally recognized non-US institution.