|Theological College, has trained priests from dioceses throughout the nation.|
Theological College traces its roots to 1889, when the Society of St. Sulpice was asked to administer Divinity College of The Catholic University of America. Some years later, Cardinal James Gibbons urged the Sulpicians to build a seminary adjacent to the University. In 1917, construction of the Sulpician Seminary was begun. Opened first as an extension of St. Mary’s in Baltimore, it became an independent national seminary in 1924. Following the transfer of responsibility for academic instruction of seminarians to the School of Theology at Catholic University in 1940, the seminary changed its name to Theological College.
Today, in cooperation with Catholic University’s School of Theology and Religious Studies and the School of Philosophy, Theological College provides candidates with the necessary human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral preparation for priestly ministry through three distinct programs: the two-year certified pre-theology program; theology; and the Basselin scholars program. Formation faculty are appointed to their position by the Sulpician Provincial Council. The position of rector is also made with the official acceptance of the president of Catholic University and the archbishop of Washington.
Theological College marked the 125th anniversary of Catholic University with an evening of prayer for Christian unity at on Jan. 19, 2012, in Chapel at Theological College.
Rev. Dr. David McAllister-Wilson, president of Wesley Theological Seminary, gave the sermon on the theme, "We Will All Be Changed by the Victory of Our Lord Jesus Christ." The prayer was prepared by the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and the Faith and Order Commission of the World Council of Churches.