|Built in 1930, Ward Hall is the home of CUA's music school.|
In 1927, The Catholic University of America began offering music courses for the first time. However, it would not be until 1950 that the University would establish a Department of Music.
Through expansion of programs, course offerings and the increase of applicants, the department became the School of Music in 1965. The school was named The Benjamin T. Rome School of Music in the spring of 1984, in honor of alumnus, trustee emeritus, and longtime friend and benefactor, the late Benjamin T. Rome. The school is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and is Washington D.C.'s only university school of music.
Today, with some 30 distinct majors offered, music students are admitted to programs leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Music, Master of Arts, Master of Music, Master of Music in Sacred Music, Doctor of Musical Arts, or Doctor of Philosophy. The school houses the Latin American Center for Graduate Studies in Music, and the international Ward Center. The school remains the preeminent Catholic center for music study in this country and is recognized for perpetuating the Church’s historical role in uplifting the human spirit through the study and performance of music.
The Benjamin T. Rome School of Music presented “Songs of Old CUA” in celebration of the 125th anniversary of the University on Sunday, February 12, 2012. The musical revue featured songs written and performed at Catholic University throughout its history.
The presentation was illuminated by historical photos and video clips, and included student performers from the music school. After the performance, members ofthe the audience danced to the music of a live dance band. The show was in the Great Room of the Edward J. Pryzbyla Center.