The Catholic University of America

SLIS

School of Library and Information Science
– Since 1911

125 emblem

Historical Highlights

  Marist Hall
  Marist Hall has been the school's home since 1977.

On July 2, 1911, the first library classes were taught by members of the University library staff and librarians from the District of Columbia Public Library. By 1930, a complete four-summer training program was offered and a certificate awarded.

The University began to offer a B.S. program in library sciences later in 1937, but would not offer a Master of Library Science degree until 1957.

In 1945, the program in library science was formally authorized as the Department of Library Science, and its program was granted full accreditation by the American Library Association (ALA).

Under the leadership of Elizabeth Stone, who later became ALA president, Catholic University’s program in library and information science was elevated to the status of a school on January 1, 1981, following approval by the Board of Trustees.

Anniversary Observance

The School of Library and Information Science observed the University's 125th anniversary as part of its own celebration of 100 years of library science education at Catholic University. This year also marks the 30th anniversary of the establishment of the School of Library Science.

On October 20, 2011, SLIS hosted an anniversary presentation titled, Homecoming and Reunions: Luminaries Panel featuring Ann Caputo, immediate past president of the Special Libraries Association; Maureen Sullivan, 2012-2013, president, American Library Association; and Susan Hildreth , director of the Institute for Museum and Libraries Services.