The Catholic University of America

Engineering

School of Engineering
– Since 1895

125 emblem

Historical Highlights

  Civil Engineering
  Civil engineering students use Wye levels to survey the campus in 1913.

Technological courses were first offered at The Catholic University of America through the School of Philosophy, established in 1895. A year after, the Board of Trustees voted to move the courses to a new school called the School of Technological Sciences. This school allowed students to do undergraduate work in the technical fields.

In 1906, the School of Philosophy divided its course offerings into the School of Philosophy, the School of Letters and the School of Sciences, with the work of the School of Technological Sciences being transferred to the School of Sciences.

In 1930 the technological courses were expanded and grouped into a new School of Engineering offering both undergraduate and graduate courses. Later, in 1935 the name of the School of Engineering was changed to the School of Engineering and Architecture. This new school offered coursework in chemistry, civil, mechanical, architectural, aeronautical and electrical engineering.

In 1992 architecture split, forming its own school, and the name changed back to the School of Engineering. Today the school offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in five academic programs as well as a master's degree in engineering management.